NO COPY & PASTE LIKE THE OTHER BLOGS!
My name is Andrés Jarabo and I offer the only tapas tour in Madrid specialized in Spanish wine ?
La Bomba Bistrot – Not in the City Center but my Favorite Paella in Madrid
If you check it out with my favorite restaurant critics: Alberto de Luna and Miguel Flecha you will see that both agree La Bomba rates among the best restaurants in Madrid.
Arroz de Carabinero seco (26 euros p.p.) Seco means dry, you also have the Meloso option which is kind of a risotto although no cream or cheese is used. The paella comes with Carabinero, prawns and squid. Carabinero is a big red prawn that goes for about 35 euros a pound.
The restaurant is in the upscale neighborhood of “Chamartín”. Hidden behind tall trees, romantic and chic.
Calle Pedro Muguruza, 5
You can make them through their web site: https://www.labombabistrot.com/reservas/
Marina Ventura – Best Paella in the City Center – the Place Locals Go
Pork with vegetables – Beautiful
Shellfish & Seafood- very good, have it with alioli which is free
Very close to the Congress, the Westin Palace and the Villareal
Calle Ventura de la Vega, 13
How Does it work?
• They open for lunch and dinner. I recommend you to order one or two starters to make time because a paella easily takes 30 minutes to cook.
• There must be at least two of you to order a paella.
You can check the 9 types of paella they offer here. Prices are per person.
• They also offer other types of Spanish rice dishes like the Arroz Meloso.
• They offer a different type of paella everyday on their “menu del dia” (14.50€ ). If you are visiting Spain and do not know what “menu del dia” is you are going to miss on something huge.
You need to call 914 293 810
La Gastroteca de Santiago – Best Paella in La Latina – Outdoors Terrace
This tiny bistro was put on the map when the New York Times said: “glass doors offering a peek into the kitchen where Juan Carlos Ramos, the chef and owner, makes magic.”
Rabbit with vegetables: Outstanding
Plaza de Santiago, 1
La Gastroteca is located in the oldest part of the city. Just a minute away from the Royal Palace of Madrid
How does it work?
• It opens lunch and dinner time. There are two different types of paella available that change every day. You will see them in a blackboard outside the restaurant. You can only choose one and there must be at least two of you to order it. Cost is 22 euros p.p.
• Warning: A paella takes easily 45 minutes to prepare. My advice is that you order, pay and take a walk around the area to come back later to the restaurant. It is either that or sit down and wait 45 minutes for the paella to be ready.
• VERY IMPORTANT! make sure they understand you have all the time in the world and want your rice fully cooked. If not the rice will be a little bit hard, some people like it that way, I DON’T.
• You can either have the paella inside the restaurant or at their terrace. If you sit down in the terrace do not leave your phone on the table, there are a few vagabonds in the area begging for money and they may take your phone.
During the week be there before 2pm and you will not have a problem. They do not have a website. To reserve call to: 915 480 707
(Temporarily Closed) Que si Quieres Arroz Catalina – Classy – Authentic Paellas – Out of the City Center – Only Lunch
Paella We Tasted
Paella Valenciana (duck, rabbit, legumes, artichoke and snails) – Delicious
Casa de Campo, the largest park in Madrid and only a few Metro stops from the city center. Take the Metro at Alonso Martinez, Tribunal or Plaza de España and get off at Lago (line 10). The restaurant is inside an ancient mansion and has a beautiful courtyard with natural light.
Calle principal de provincias, 9
How Does It Work?
It only opens at lunch time. They have two fixed-price menus which include several courses being the last one the paella you choose. One menu for 31.9 and the other for 42 (drinks not included).
These menus make a lot of sense. They bring you different dishes while they prepare your paella, about 30′. Only problem is that if you stuff yourself when the paella arrives you will already be full. You can only choose one type of paella unless there are 8 or more of you. You can also order a la carte.
Types of Paella They Offer
• Huertano, only vegetables.
• Montanero, vegetables and ibérico ribs.
• Senyoret, squid and prawns.
• De Rape y Ajos Tiernos: Monkfish and scallions.
• Black rice with squid and prawns (the rice is black (negro) due to the ink of the squid). You always have this type with ali-oli mahonese.
• Vegetable Fideua (paella made with espaguettis instead of rice).
• De Manitas y Jamón Ibérico: Pork troters and ham.
Warning!: there is an 8th type of paella:
Paella Valenciana (duck, rabbit, legumes, artichoke and snails) but if you want this one you have to let them know ahead. Do it when you make the reservation.
Socarrat – The Best Affordable Paellas – Only Lunch Time – Right in the Centre
Paellas we tasted
Castellón, abuela and rústica – all of them very good.
Right in the city center. A minute away from the Gran Via metro station. Calle San Marcos, 2
How Does it Work?
Socarrat is a paella take away. It opens from 12 to 16. There are two locals in the city center:
• 5 Manuela Malasaña st, where they cook. They only have one type of paella ready to be served and room for just two people.
• 2 San Marcos st, this one has room for at least 20 people and different paellas. They do not have a kitchen. I recommend you to be there at 1 pm, that is, when the freshly cooked paellas arrive. One big plate of paella is 8 euros, the average price in a restaurant is 20 euros.
They have cans of beer at 2.2 euros and about 8 different craft beer brands at 3.5 euros. I had La Socarrada (honey and rosemary) and I loved it.
Types of Paella
MEAT AND/OR VEGETABLES
Chicken, rabbit, artichoke, legumes and rosemary.
Paella de la abuela
Ribs, chickpeas and red peppers.
Paella de verduras
Zucchini, eggplant (aubergine), onion, mushrooms and red pepper.
Marinated ribs, chicken y setas de cardo.
Arroz a banda
Squid and shellfish.
Arroz al señoret
Squid, fish and shellfish.
Arroz a banda con langostino (9 euros a portion)
Squid, tiger praws and shellfish.
Squid, squid’s ink and shellfish.
Arroz del Turia (10 euros a portion)
Squid, artichokes,prawns and shellfish.
This is a take away, that is, no reservations but as long as you are there before 2pm you will not have a problem.
El del Medio – A Dream Come True
What we all look for when we travel. I small bistro with awesome regional dishes and more than reasonable prices. It is not a paella restaurant but they have a delicious rice with ossobuco dish: Arroz de rabo de toro (15.95€ )
Northern part of the city, Calle Costa Rica, 28
No online reservations, you have to call them to this number: +34 914 217 934
Gastromaquia – Good Reviews
This is one of those restaurants everybody is talking about. Gastromaquia is not a paella restaurant but they happen to have a seafood paella in their menu.
I tasted their “abanda” paella (prawns, mussels and clams) and it was good and even better with allioli. They also offer another rice dish but in this case it is a black risotto due to the squid’s ink. It is a famous dish I would have found awesome if the rice had been more cooked. It was too chewy for me.
Right in the city center. A minute away from the Gran Via metro station.
Calle Pelayo, 6
It is pretty common that they offer their seafood paella as a second dish of their “menu del dia” (13.90€ ). Seriously? You are visiting Spain but do not know what “menu del día” is?
AlliOli – Cheap Paella – Only Lunch – Lavapies
Calle de Carlos Arniches 14
Lavapies neighborhood, the poorest part of the city center.
How Does it Work?
Allioli is a take-away paella. The paella is only 5 euros to take away but 8 if you have it at the premises. Most people have the paella as the second dish of their “menu del dia” which is only 11 euros. If you are visiting Spain and do not know what “menu del dia” is, please, for God’s sake, google it now.
Tip: be there at 1pm, that is when their paellas have just been cooked and are at their freshest.
Types of Paella
They offer several types of paella but there are only two available to be eaten right away.
There are 6 tables inside the take away, as long as you are there before 2pm you will not need a reservation.